Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Why wasn't Felicity more popular?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member CasualAGFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 14th, 2005
    Posts
    81
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't understand why Lissie wasn't more popular before her movie/Elizabeth's introduction. I mean, it's not like she's an ugly doll. In fact, IMO, she's the prettiest AG until Josefina was introduced. Some of her core outfits are really beautiful, namely her Christmas ,Summer, and Birthday gowns. Her books are one of the best series in the American Girls Collection, and colonial times are so fascinating. Why wasn't she as popular as Samantha, Molly, or Kirsten?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member ksami's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 30th, 2005
    Posts
    447
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I agree with you, Utena. I don't understand, either. Felicity is my second favorite historical. She has such a beautiful collection, and she has such a strong personality that really pulls you into her stories.

  3. #3
    GreyMyst
    Guest GreyMyst's Avatar

    Post

    I think most girls only get one AG (if they are lucky enough to get one) and want one that looks like them. That makes Samamntha a top seller just like AGT16 is.

    I think alot more people buy Felicity's dresses than buy her just based on the number of Sams and AGTs I see sold in her clothes, lol

  4. #4
    Inactive Member cami713's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    1,375
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I would guess:

    -Felicity's time period is the farthest away (before Kaya came out), and that's hard for little girls to identify with.

    -Using the books is a pretty moot point, it's becoming more and more apparent that most girls don't read the books before getting a doll. When I got my first doll (Sam), I had only read the Sam and Addy series (actually, of the 5 that were out when I was little, I read Lissie's last), so the fact that her stories and her character are great probably doesn't mean a single thing.

    - I think her looks, red hair and green eyes, are much less common than the brown hair/brown eyes or blonde hair/blue eyes of Sam and Kirsten, and especially before the Today dolls, lots of little girls probably wanted the one who looked most like them.

    -Them taking her out of the catalogue when she wasn't selling well already certainly didn't help, either.

  5. #5
    HB Forum Owner moderator's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 20th, 1999
    Posts
    952
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I was still relatively young when Felicity came out (around 14 years old), and really liked her! The problem I see with the doll, though, was that her items were REALLY obscure (and AG hasn't seemed to have brought back any of the really obscure things). There were things like shrewsbury cakes, a fire screen, lappet cap, bed warmer, etc.--and these were some of the more identifiable ones! [img]wink.gif[/img] I think girls like dolls they can identify with, and Felicity was not really a character with identifiable items/miniatures. I never liked any of her miniatures except Noah's ark, and that was because I'd had a friend with the same thing, hidden in their family's hall closet.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member MollyGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 16th, 2005
    Posts
    945
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think Felicity is more of a doll for Adults. NOt that she was meant to be. Many have visited Williamsburg and enjoyed their visit. Many have furniture in there home that matches hers. I know I have 1 tilt top tea table just like Felicity's. The dresses are so beautiful and look like fun to wear for Adults, but not to with it for the younger collector.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Molly92's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 9th, 2005
    Posts
    168
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    When I was the target age for the dolls (around 8) I did not know what a lot of Felicity's accessories were. For example the undergarments, bed warmer, the shrewsbury cake set, rescue kit (mortar and pestle) etc. My sister who was older than me and past the target age for the dolls wanted Felicity. I loved Molly because I could identify with all of her items. If you look at Molly's school accessories vs. Felicity's school accessories some children would not know what to do with them. However with Molly's it was everything that I had for school; just miniture. This was also the time that I like Samantha a lot more as well because I thought her dresses were so pretty. As I grew older I liked Felicity a lot more because her collection was more fragile and eligant vs. Samantha's whose items are pretty but more frilly/girly.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member rafferty's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 5th, 2005
    Posts
    359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I actually was holding out getting Felicity things for DD until she was older because they seemed more fragile than most of the other dolls things. I was so dissapointed when they discontinued so many things. I ALWAYS liked her the best, and I am guessing she will become DD's favorite too because she can relate to Williamsburg because my parents live there, so she sees all of Felcity's stuff used by reinacters. It is also very true that most girls only get one or two dolls. I think most of DD's friends seem to like the GT's above the historicals. They read the historical books, but want the GT dolls.

    Shelly

  9. #9
    Inactive Member llama_dreamdancer_5's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 18th, 2005
    Posts
    194
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Felicity is my all time favorite and I am NOT a "adult" collecter. I really relate to her. i love horses just like her. I never have the patience of sewing also like her. ( Although sometimes I wish I did, seeing some of our fellow board memebers work is really just inspiring) I absolutly LOVE Felicity. Shhhh don't tell the other girls this, but she is by far and away my very favorite doll! I must agree not many little kids like Felicity. For me that makes her all the more special to me. [img]wink.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

  10. #10
    Inactive Member rachie421's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2004
    Posts
    712
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    As much as I hate to admit it, I did sort of fit into that category. Unlike a lot of kids, and I find this soooo sad, I read all of the AG books out there before I ever got a doll. And Lissie was without a doubt my favorite character. So thats why I wanted her. I also thought she was the prettiest. Partly because I have always hated the AG bangs and she was the first without them, LOL

    But after I got her, although there was some stuff from her collection I wanted, it was simply because it was in the books. I was a lot more interested in Kirsten and Addys collections and time periods. I loved and got all of Lissies dresses, but when it came to accessories, most of the ones I asked for or bought on my own were not part of Felicitys collection. And yes, it was because I could relate to that other stuff a little better. But now I especially regret it because the colonial era is my favorite in American history. So Im doomed to search ebay for all the stuff I missed out on. And Ive spent a small fortune getting a lot of it!

    Unfortunately, to bring Lissie back, AG knows all of this and will modify Felicitys collection to target the younger girls. I really do understand this, but I wish they would go about it in a different way. Did nearly every new thing for Lissie/Elizabeth have to be some shade of pink and frilly? I know those girls didnt wear fancy dresses ALL the time. Even Sam has play clothes. LOL Oh well, beggers cant be choosy right?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •